Monday 3 November 2008

Monday Mojo - Using Your Scraps and Re-Sizing

New for Dottie's World are daily posts from the Design Team. This could be something to get your mojo flowing, showcasing new collections, hint and tips, and so on.

Come on, be honest - how often do you use your scraps? If you are anything like me you have a box full of papers that have been half-used. Am I right or am I right? The large A5 card I made here uses scraps only.


Mini Tutorial:
I wanted Henry from our new Animal Magic Download collection a little fatter for this card so I inserted the image into MS Word, got the height the required size (check out my re-sizing tutorial here) then dragged the side to make him the size I wanted:




......and here is my finished card:




  • Henry Hare from the new Animal Magic collection have been printed on a bit of leftover white Bazzill cardstock
  • the sky is from left-over light blue Bazzill which I tore, inked and embossed.
  • The grass is a piece of paper from Basic Grey Mellow collection. I tore the edges and rolled them at the top where it joins the sky, and then inked with brown ink.
  • The house is made from a piece of Prima paper (see my Acetate card with a hint of pink Sunday Challenge). This paper is double-sided so I used the reverse for the windows and door.
  • The roof is white Bazzill that was leftover after printing Henry Hare. This then was edged with my Fiskars Treading water Border Punch and inked.
  • The Sun is a little piece of yellow Mulberry paper. TIP: Brush water in a circle on the reverse of the mulberry paper and gently pull to achieve a feathered effect. After it dried I inked it with orange ink and drew white lines around the edge.
  • The flower stalks are from the same paper as the grass, I inked it to make it darker. The flower heads are from various pieces of left-over papers.

Other than that all I added was a yellow Basic Grey button and a bit of twine, a red heart button, a piece of ribbon, a little HOTP metal clip (for the smoke coming out of the chimney), two metal tulips I had laying around and a few brads for the centres of the flowers. A very economical card, and it's a biggie. It's A5 size and Henry Hare measures 13.5cm!

Pop by tomorrow for another DT post.


Karen xxx

8 comments:

Jac’s Playground said...

Wow all from scraps too! I love it and yes I have lots of left over scraps which I always think might come in handy one day! Must try harder to use them!

Ruth (ooffee) said...

Thanks! That's very useful - and a great idea to add it to the site!
Ruth xx

Adele said...

Scraps...nooooo!I am a good girl!

NOT!!! LOL.

Lovely idea and a great card Karen, thank you for the boost.

love Dingle.xx

Louly said...

Oh my!!!!!This is a great post Karen, I really need to start emptying my scraps drawer, it's getting harder and harder to close.
I love everything about your card, the torn edges are ace and that house is devine!Thank you so much for all the tips.

Anonymous said...

I have loads of scraps which I really should use up.

That's a great tutorial Karen and the card is amazing.

Juliet said...

Ooooh I love this card Karen.....and guess what? I'm moving house soon! (hint hint)LOL
Juliet xx

Sarah C said...

This is a brilliant card and a great tutorial too xx

Becky said...

What a stunning card Karen, I love that you've made the whole card out of scraps too!!
Love Becky xx

Blog Widget by LinkWithin